We believe people in developing countries know best how to solve their own problems. That's why we forge partnerships with carefully-screened, indigenous partner organizations that understand, and are part of, the local culture.
The result: a solution tailored to the needs of each community, instead of a technological fix the community has no way of maintaining. More benefits:
- Locally-based partners are better positioned to understand and navigate social, political, and economic issues impacting projects.
- Locally-based partners have more savvy at leveraging local financial resources for cost-sharing in projects.
- Local expertise exists to implement projects.
- Working through local partners is more cost effective than maintaining expatriate staff.
- Because Water.org is not tied to any single partner organization, we constantly search for and fund the organizations producing the highest quality projects.